Saturday, August 27, 2011

A tribute to a living legend, "Man Mountain"Godwin Odiye

As a teenager, growing up in Lagos, in the late 70s - early 80s, we had our fair share of role models.  Some positive, others were exciting and stimulating nonetheless.  These people (most of them were living in close proximity) helped shaped our lives as we grew up, and the adults we've become...

Sometime in 1976, I remember my father and his friends taking me to watch National Bank vs. NEPA (ECN), and I remember, two names, were on the lips of almost every fan,  Peter Fregene of NEPA, and Godwin Odiye (National Bank), these men were at war with each other during that match. Fregene, a pint sized man, who was the acrobatic goaltender of NEPA, screaming instructions and making incredible saves from Godwin Odiye's shots and massive headers,  and the towering "langa langa" central defender of National Bank... That was my first recollection  and introduction to the man, Godwin Odiye.

The next time I saw Godwin, was at a Green Eagles practice at the National Stadium, as they were getting ready for the World Cup qualifiers match against Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), in 1977.

The 12th of November 1977, formed a lasting impression in my life, and it was that day I decided that Godwin Odiye would be my idol...  We all know what happened during the match against Tunisia (albeit not many people know the real incident).  Godwin, our best defender, had seen and watched Okala's last position, called out, received an okay, he then executed a simple headed back pass to his goalkeeper, but Okala was already on the move and mis judged his jump, and that error, became a moment etched in the annals of Nigerian football.

In my house, we watched the match and simultaneously listened to Ernest Okoronkwo's commentaries.  It was the moment I heard those famous words " Own goal, it is all over, Nigeria score Nigeria, Godwin Odiye beats Emmanuel Okala with a beautiful back header, simply well executed, it is all over! we are out of the world cup!!.  The silence in my house, my neighborhood, Nigeria, was incredible.. I have never again experienced anything like it.  Humanity stopped..... and for once, had nothing to say.  The shock was incredible.... Then all of a sudden, the nation rose, erupted in unified and vociferous anger and various frightening and unforgettable expressions of grief.  People were openly crying, grown men, women and children  ( I have never again witnessed such national consciousness from our people) all wailed at the missed opportunity.  Own goals were now called and known as "Odiye"

I suddenly became afraid for the man, Godwin Odiye.  I asked my father, who had been at the stadium, what happened to Godwin.  He replied, "he will be fine, I just hope, they dont kill him".   That Sunday (the next day), I remembered praying in church for the safety and well-being of Godwin Odiye.

The man is a legend... Reason being, Godwin could have played for IICC (through his close relationship with Idowu Otubusin, (whom he understudied at the Green Eagles), or Bendel Insurance (as a son of the soil), or even Stationary Stores (being a Lagos kid), Nope... he settled for non leaguers, National Bank.  The man horned his skills and learned his craft during his time at the club.  I watched him overcome the 1977 debacle, and produce a fantastic outing in Ghana  AFCON 1978, we won the bronze medal, and also followed his exploits during the AFCON 1980.    In the matches I've watched and played with him,  I have noticed that the man rarely put a foot wrong, misses a tackle, and his passing is his greatest playing attribute.  His air prowess is incredible... Most of all, his demeanor and calm during  matches, sets him apart.

Godwin Odiye is one of the most humble and simple persons I've ever met, he's a quiet and unassuming, somewhat an introvert, straight talking individual.  The only place you find his passion is on the field.

I saw Godwin defy the odds, in 1994, at 38, to challenge for a place on Clemens Westerhof's world cup bound Super Eagles team.  I saw him outrun, outlasted the defenders we had in camp, and he did these activities with a nagging knee injury, he played through pain, to ensure he could contend and put himself in a position to be considered. Impressive.

Last week, I visited San Francisco Bay Area (my old home and stumping ground), and spent some time with Godwin Odiye.   I watched him work with High School kids (he coaches varsity soccer for a Bay Area High School), his teams were getting ready for the new season, and I watched, listened  and admired, this passionate professional, at work.  Talking passionately, passing on instructions, and running his drills and game plans. Afterwards, we reminisced, about the past, San Francisco, Nigeria, Naija soccer scene, our lives, the FA, and about our kids.

Godwin Odiye will forever remain an important part of my life.  He is my hero, my mentor and one of the few Nigerians, I respect and value his opinion.  He is living life, on his own terms, but mindful and respectful of others, has excelled in everything that he has done.  His three children are all university graduates. He has also reminded us, that he is human.  In the face of adversity, he has driven himself harder to succeed.  He has returned to his first love, football, although not as a player, but as a coach, impacting knowledge and caring for young people, who need a positive role model.  He is a professional banker (with an MBA from USC) and worked for fortune 500 financial institutions, but today, he has chosen to do what he loves the most, which is coaching soccer and teaching....  He is well respected in the Bay Area Soccer community, as a player, a coach, and most importantly, as a nice gentleman.

Hewas an All American (along with Andrew Atuegbu) for the University of San Francisco (USF team of the mid 80s), and played with the San Francisco Greek Americans Football club.  He won the American Open Cup (the FA cup of the USA) with the San Francisco Greek Americans, plus he was the only amateur player on the 1980 Nations cup Green Eagles team, he played for National Bank, a non league, Lagos Divisional League team.

I  wish our football administrators will give honor to whom it is due, and when it is due... We mustnt wait until our great sports men and women are dead and gone, before we honor them.  We must find a way to tap into these great minds, and leverage on them, utilizing them as positive role models for the next generation of sportsmen and women, as it is done elsewhere.

We must find ways of integrating these people into the workings of the national teams.  These positive individuals exist, and must be found and brought into our national consciousness.  We need some positive role models at this terrible time in our country's transition.....

Godwin Odiye, a gentle, living, legend, still making himself count, in the lives of people around him..... one kid at a time........



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this write-up, Myke. As a college senior in '77, I was among those most impacted by the historic Odiye own-goal. His consistency before and after along with all post-passion assessment of the national disaster by respected sports journalists have fed into my respect for the gentleman.

    I have to note however that I think Godwin Odiye, the man, himself would own the accidental error of the own goal of 1977. It would be an injustice to Father Tiko's style to head a backpass toward your goal without firm confirmation that the net is irrevocably manned.

    Bolaji (California)

    ReplyDelete