Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Nigeria, there is hope........


I drove into Kontagora yesterday evening and as I drove past the public field, a large dusty piece of landspace, with no speck of grass, what I saw sent a warm feeling down my spine, I wept, as I saw young boys, training and practising football, mostly unsupervised and enjoying themselves in pure innocent fun.  I told the driver to stop the car, as I alighted with my camera, some curious older folks drew closer to inspect my presence (albeit, I was dressed in my long buba and sokoto).

I watched three groups of kids, aged 7-18, enjoy their field hockey (yes, hockey, in Nigeria, that's another story), and the footballers play.

I stood in the evening light, and watched a group of 10 year old, exercise, go through a warm up process (photo attached) that would make Real Madrid and Maurinho proud.. They diligently went through their paces, exchanging "coaching assignments" and conducted themselves in a way that would put some of our professionals to shame.  I was amazed at the order, sense of purpose and focus of these 10 year olds (true ages).  I felt nostalgia, as I remembered my own time and how we conducted ourselves before any "practice, pick up games".

I patiently waited till 7.15 pm, when the games ended, and decided to chase after the kids, excitedly wanting to know, if they had a coach, where did they pick up the skills to conduct themselves, how many times do they train, to what end are all these activities, are there any formal clubs, competitions, etc....

To my amazement, the answers I got from these kids, shocked me to the roots of my being... Ahmed, 10 years old, believes he is better than Messi, plays for the fun of it, has never owned a football boot, and his biggest dream is to make the school team..he wants to be a doctor. Of all the 17 kids I spoke to, only 3 saw themselves as footballers, and dreamed of playing for Nigeria, like Okocha and Joel Obi (hmm, not a bad choice of mentor).

I watched as they departed, looked at this speck of dust and dry clay, and wished for our country and the gods of football to keep these boys, and those like them all over this country, to maintain their passion for the game, to make them have their wishes come true and help our nation.

This country is blessed, and truly, I saw a Messi, in Ahmed, the boy could dribble and he did with a smile on his face, taunting his friends and doing it with a delight that made my heart sing.

I was drawn to the field again this evening, sitting on a tree stump, I made myself very inconspicuous and watched again as the boys went through their "ritual" of training and exercising before playing.... These self taught, natural superstars have my respect, prayers and best wishes... I made a promise to myself, to do all I can to make sure that the dividend of Nigeria, gets to them, and their like all over the country.  They deserve a good field, a proper training area, and some support in coaching and physical development.

We cannot let these guys fade, and be drawn into things that re far from positive and helpful to the development of football in this country.  May the gods of the glasshouse and NSC hear me today.  We must do something to improve our grassroots focus and actively engage all our peoples to ensure that we grow with our God given passion for football.

God bless this country, and its people, and the Ahmeds of Nigeria..........Super Eagles, there is hope......

No comments:

Post a Comment