Sunday, April 22, 2012

And My dearest Mom joined the angels.......We need to do more for the welfare of our sport people

On April 7th, 2012, my dearest mom passed on to the great beyond, I am still in shock at the loss of this great and gentle lady, my "mama Enahoro" as she was known by everyone. She was a great person.
The earliest memory I can recollect is one of her repeatedly reading to me, the poem "my mother, who sat and washed my infant head ..........., etc...."

The great Janet Nkechi Mgbeke-Enahoro, was 71 years old, lived a very colourful life, a life that she could boast of 5 kids, and someone who lived through the Nigerian civil war and was one of the first female inductees of the Nigeria civil defence corps, during the civil war. 

In the early 60's, a young Janet Nkechi Mgbeke spent her time divided between Rowe Park, Race Course and Lawanson sports fields and her school, Our Lady of Apostles secondary school track field.....She was an athlete in 100, 200 and 4x100 meters relay.  I had the pleasure of seeing my mom at her element during my secondary school inter-house sports parents race, where she dusted all other "mothers" in their race.  She raced like a true sprinter, that she was.  Mama Enahoro was a fantastic sprinter, where some of her contemporaries were Otiti Mfon, Modupe Oshikoya and Lillian osifo and co.... She was preparing for the 1968 Olympic games when she became pregnant with me (I still feel guilty today for stopping her going to the Olympics).  She came back to prepare for the All Africa Games, but she got disillusioned with the management of the Athletics Federation. But she kept competing in the local scene, while balancing her job and family.

I was blessed to have been told all the stories about her exploits, the training regimes, the way she'd run and jog from our family home (in Lawanson, Surulere) to the stadium in Alaka, Surulere, to train and prepare for tournaments.  She told me of her rivalry with some of the known names in the Athletics circuit of that era.

Reflectively I have looked at the situation of the welfare and health services package for our illustrious former athletes and sports persons. My mother's case was a fair one.  She was one of the forgotten athletes, who transitioned to become a professional secretary and retired as the executive assistant to the managing director of NITEL. The fate of so many others, who have served this "our father's land" can only described as pathetic, a lot of our sporting heroes died in penury and sorrow.  They used the best years of their life to serve and represent Nigeria, and were giants in their chosen sports, but died or are living in abject poverty and in such bad state of health.

We've heard stories of Davison Andeh, Ndubuisi Okosieme, recently, the issues faced by Rashidi Yekini, and so many others.  What is the plan for ex sports people in Nigeria.  What are the welfare packages that the government has put together as a measure of our organisation, that will act as an incentive to our sports people to ensure that they feel that Nigeria has their best interest at heart.  Where athletes and sports people who go day in day out, through physical and psychological rigours and preparations, for years, for competitions, tournaments, through injuries, and loss of income and other person development opportunities, all in the name of service to this great nation.  

Over the years, we have shown our appreciation, in cash, houses, national awards, and handshakes, albeit in ad hoc fashion.  In even worse situations, we have disregarded the successes of these great men and women.  we should do better.  I hope the sports authorities can set up a department that duly catalogues our past heroes and set up a structure and mechanism that takes care of the sportsmen and women that produce the laurels of greatness for this country.  There have been many firebrigade approaches that have been initiated but nothing structural and even long term/strategic has been set up.  My appeal is to the National Sports Commission, they need to look at athletes welfare, propose it to the national assembly and make it part of our national pension scheme.  Nigeria must find a better way to honour its great stars and sports people.

I bid my dear mother farewell.  I was blessed to know her and see her in action.  I was honored to know that she put herself for this country, and her legacy will surely live on in me and the rest of her descedants.  Adieu, Mama Enahoro........ The Angels in Heaven have multiplied by one...... I do sincerely miss you....

No comments:

Post a Comment